Thursday, May 8, 2008

Where are you headed today?

I'm off today to a series of meetings... all necessary, I suppose. They all have to do with kingdom work, and I look forward to meeting with the people of God to plan our work.

But days like this can make my prayer time thin. It sometimes puzzles me how we can make appointments for everything, but leave time with God in the leftover pile. If I get around to it, I'll pray...

I heard a man say once, "Tell me your goals for today and I'll show you your destiny.

Jesus knew how to live out his destiny. "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." (Mark 1:35 NIV).


Even after a grueling, busy day, Jesus made time his servant, not his master.

When the news about Jesus made the crowds almost impossible to manage, the word says, "But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." (Luke 5:16 NIV).

Right after that, "the power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick." (5:17). Amazing. His discipline in prayer meant power on the field of spiritual battle.

I think I'll try harder to make prayer the day's major goal - and let the power flow naturally to handle the lesser tasks.

No comments: